Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Jun 1996 10:58:31 -0400
From:         Tom Forhan <tforhan@usa.pipeline.com>
Subject:      Buying in Germany

I don't think its as bad as you think. Check out my listing of ads at http://usa.pipeline.com/~tforhan/swadvert.htm. Regular 88-91 westies are often available around where I live (DC) in the newspaper ads.

>-cost Check rough US costs for specific used Vanagons at: http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/used/Volkswagen/

I would expect you to find German used Vanagons at lower prices, but you have to add the shipping costs and the price of meeting all the US regulations. If you are not bringing in a passenger vehicle (commercial van, single or double cabs) you will also have to pay a 25% duty.

Also, when it was wildly popular to import used cars direct from Germany in the eighties (there was a regulatory loophole that made it easier then), most people concluded that these grey market cars were often in worse shape than one would expect for the same year in the US, and even today, those cars resell at lower prices than a simialr US spec model.

>- problems with incompatability of parts, etc. once in USA - see "other"

>- more availability of 4X4 models in Germany/Austria? You'll have to check the ads in Europe. As long as you have either time to wait for the right bus, or money to travel/tranport within the US, Syncros are available here- you just won't always find them on the nearest car lot.

>- other? The big problem will be getting your non-US vanagon certified to meet US Department of Transportation and Environmental Protection Agency specs. When I looked into buying a syncro in Canada, if found that if the vehicle already has a sticker stating that it met all applicable US regulations.

Since its highly unlikely that any bus you buy in Europe would have that sticker, you can call Volkswagen of America with a specific VIN#, and they will tell you if it mets the spec, and then send you a letter stating such, which will help get the vehicle in. But its not easy, and you can't readily call up VW and get a letter for a bus you are just casually checking out.

Overall, I'll bet it is not worth the hassle for just any bus, and for those models where it might be worthwhile -rare ones, a 16" turbodiesel syncro, or a syncro doublecab- the certification problems will be horrendous.

Of course, if it did work out, you would have the advantage of having the Westie to use in Europe before coming to the states...now that would be great!

Tom F.