Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Jun 96 10:59:38 PDT
From:         stafford@newport26.hac.com (Jack Stafford)
Subject:      sway bar kit on a breadloaf

My camper would tend to wander around in my lane on the freeways. The aerodynamic "bow wake" from passing trucks tended to push me aside then suck me back once they passed. Another handling problem in high-speed (65 mph) cornering was like the van was tipping over. Then the front end would plow in and bounce a little bit. Understeer caused me to slow down quite a bit to stay in my lane and not tip over.

I put some new KYB gas shocks on a couple months ago. The ride has improved. Kind of like wearing a new pair of running shoes with lots of "cush" in the soles. The handling problems are still there though.

Last week I had the ball joints replaced at a local repair shop. (The rubber boots on the joints had split open at least 3 years ago and I noticed that the bushings on the front sway bar were cracked and deteriorating. You would be too after 22 years under a VW camper :) While it was all apart I asked them to add a sway bar kit as it went back together. The ball joints were really shot. The kit adds a larger than stock sway bar in the front and a new sway bar to the rear. Urethane bushings and hardware, etc. The kit is from sway-a-way and cost about 200 clams. This is the only sway bar kit I could find for a type2. Disclaimer: I'm just an end-user, no affiliation. This is not an infomercial.

Now that I have the van back and done some testing I can say that there is a big differance in the handling. The "bow wake" problem is practically nil. When cornering the rear end stays down and level with the road surface. No more tipping over. The steering has improved. The van goes where I point it and no more understeer. It is not so quick to return to driving straight on it's own when exitting a turn, but that is not unbearable, just differant from the way it was before.

YMMV,

Jack '73 Westfalia Costa Mesa, CA