Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Jun 1996 22:01:48 -0700
From:         tomstory@slip.net (Tomstory)
Subject:      Driving Cross Country Advice...

Well, I leave for Mass. from San Francisco on Wed. and was looking at getting some last minute tips for my Westy...

It's a 77 (78 engine) that recently had new P's & C's, and rebuilt Mark Stephens heads. I've put about 1000 miles on it since then and was considering switching to Synthetic. I have no oil leaks at all, and in those 1000 miles it used about a half quart of 30 weight. I was thinking the synthetic might give slightly lower temps. Any answers to that? And it would be less likely to break down in the higher temp range?

I plan on doing 60 or so to keep the temps down. At what temps should I pull over and let it cool? I don't have the time or money right now to add an outside oil cooler. I think I might drive at night mostly to keep it cool, but drive during the day coming back since I'll be with my brother and we're going to do alot of stopping and sightseeing.

So any and all advice appreciated as to what I should bring and look out for driving this thing 7000 miles in 3 weeks. Wish me luck! Tom

P.S.- Oh yeah, on the way back we'll be towing a small 4 x 8 utility trailer containing his stuff. Nothing heavy, mainly stereo stuff, TV, etc...anything to look out for towing this? Thanks

"So you're going to take us for a ride eh?" "Yeah, come on" "Well I don't have a sister!" "That's ok we no gotta car!"