Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jun 1996 13:13:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Steven Johnson" <sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com>
Subject:      Stranded in L.A. - 81 won't start

So Scott A. Harvey says: > For those who remeber, Last week my vanagons fuel gauge stopped > working so I ran out of gas (didn't know this until I was towed to my > mechanic and he dertimed the problem). Well, I picked up the van, > determine/ fix this? Gas must be fine, I assume fuel pump is also. > Any checks/ideas/tips explained in laymans terms would be much > appreciated. Thanks.

Since you ran it out of gas, my first thought would be that you probably got some crud in the injectors. You can check this by looking at the spray pattern of the injectors. If they are spraying a nice fine mist with no drips, then they're probably okay. If they are dripping and not a good spray then you should get the fuel-injectors cleaned. Any good shop should be able to do this. Or you can try pouring one of the off- the-shelf fuel-injector cleaner brands into your tank and see if this alleviates the problem. Of course, you should check the fuel pressure etc. to make sure that you are getting the proper pressure to the injectors first.

> My girlfriend is telling me to 'throw that damn thing away' since I've > had to put in clutch, trans, gas gauge out, and now this in the last two months. > And that hurts!

Maybe she needs another trip to Red Rock? ;)

Steven Sacramento, CA sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com