Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jun 1996 18:35:07 -0400
From:         Remuse@aol.com
Subject:      Re: First road trip

> I have a 1982 Westfalia and even with the added weight, it brakes fine. You >actually ran the vehicle in second gear to 55mph? I do believe that it is >adding stress to the engine. Mine is automatic and the highest speed I've >done in second gear is 45mph due to necessity.

Sorry, I neglected to mention that I also have automatic and 45 was about tops in that range. BTW, I do not yet have the accelerator cable adjusted so that I can actually "kick down" into a lower gear without using the stick. My old road tests on the auto lead me to believe that downshifting was a very easy/fluid process. Does that work for you?

>>Gas mileage was around 13 mpg. That's Chevy Suburban country; that should >>improve shouldn't it? > > Even under the worst conditions, I've never been below 17mph. Although, if >the above is correct (the second gear driving), expect the mileage to drop >considerably.

A fair amount of that travel was actually good flat highway. Maybe it's a product of high heat? In any event I'll try it again shortly just on highway to see what I get.

> > About the wheel covers, also check them every three or four days depending >on your driving. They tend to rotate and only stop when the air valve stops >them. After a while, the cover will cut the rubber of the valve and you are >out of air and an air valve. This is from personal experience.

Actually I had observed that and really didn't believe it was happening without benefit of hitting something. I'm sort of inclined to get rid of those covers anyway in favor of something else for both that reason and appearance. > Raul > Thanks, Weston