Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jun 1996 10:54:28 +1200
From:         william.warburton/OU=tritec@dsw.govt.nz
Subject:      Re: These could be the tires (Retry)

Hi volks, > > 185/70R-14 are NOT the correct size for a Type II vehicle they > > are almost an 1" & 1/2" too small!!! > > Price doesn't matter.. get the right size... 185R-14 or > > 195/75R-14 or 205/70R-14.... > hmmm, i'm getting different info from different folks...i was told 75 > would be too big...what do you mean by 185r-14....would 185/80r14 work? > should i go to 195...now i'm getting confused.

185/70R-14 are right for EVs, I think. Didn't later model vanagons use /70 profile tyres as well? "Price doesn't matter" seems a bit sweeping to me...:-) 185R14 is the standard size for most type IIs, from the transition to 14" wheels right through 'till at least the mid-eighties. 185R14 and 185/80R14 are the same thing (80% is the "normal" profile). 195R14 is a VW approved alternative. 185/75 is close enough to work fine. 195/75 and 205/70 will also fit, so will 205/75, of course, if anyone makes 'em. I would support the general approval of "reinforced" or similar heavier duty tyres for busses: My '68 has 185R14 car tyres on it at the moment and it rolls noticeably more than my '71 with 195R14 8-plys did! Incidentally, anyone have any thoughts on "performance" tyres for busses-My recent experience with the dramatic difference in handling between my two 1600 campers suggests that if & when I get round to building myself a Porsche engined bus it would be absolutely essential to have appropriate tyres on it. What would work well? I was thinking that something designed for a big car like a Mercedes or a Jaguar might be good, since they are powerful & heavy.

Cheers, W.