Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Jun 1996 10:30:49 -0700
From:         dlytle@as.arizona.edu (Dyer Lytle)
Subject:      '66 progress, engine in

Hi all,

Just a progress report on the '66. This last weekend I got the engine installed. Haven't started it yet until I get the throttle cable replaced but everything else is ready to go. Had to clearance the bell-housing to get the flywheel in. I had hoped this wouldn't be necessary but sure enough, I had to remove the little reinforceing plateaus inside the starter gear and inside each (of four) engine-case to transmission bolts to get that sucker in. Initially my friend and I just tried to put the engine in but found that the flywheel was hanging up on something. After we pulled the engine back out I could see that the flywheel teeth were cutting slots in the above mentioned little plateaus so I got out a nice sharp chisel and my ball-peen hammer and scraped then down. Tried the engine again and found that I hadn't quite scraped enough magnesium off so we pulled then engine and chisled some more. After three iterations of this, then engine fit in but still interfered a little with the bell-housing. I then used the starter/new battery to crank the engine around and scrape the last little bit from the bell-housing. Finally, with the four mounting bolts tight, the engine still cranks over. Clearancing finished. (using a grinder would have made this job easier but I'm chicken of grinding and producing heat with magnesium since I have no idea how to extinguish a magnesium fire. CO2 extinguisher I guess)

The fan housing, exhaust system, alternator, intake manifold, 34 PICT 3 carb, tinware, etc. etc. all went together and fit perfectly once I got all the correct pieces. After the engine was in, I hooked up the fuel lines, electrical stuff, air-box hoses, oil breather hose, etc. I'm using the stock oil bath air cleaner and installed that with a new rubber pipe from the carb output elbow to the air-cleaner. I installed the external oil filter inside the engine compartment, on the left side, bolted to the spare tire well. I ran the hoses from the oil pump and main oil gallery up through the sheetmetal on the left side where a second battery could fit. It took me some time to find the grommets that were just the correct size for this, the 1/2 inch ID oil lines have an OD of about 7/8 inch and I found some PCV-valve grommets at Pep Boys that were perfect.

With the rear body panel on the engine compartment looks beautiful, clean and neat. A far cry from the rest of the vehicle which needs paint, a new headliner, and interior panels! :-) Oh well, one step at a time....

The electrical system conversion from 6 to 12 volts is nearly complete. Everything works except the windshield wipers. Well, the wipers work at 12 volts but they go really fast and eventually blow the fuse. I bought a "voltage drop" which is just a big resistor but I don't think I'll use it. It should be fairly simple to build a 6V reglulated power supply using a 723 regulator with an extra power transistor on the output to form a Darlington pair with the 723 internal output transistor to boost the amperage. I'll build that after I get all the windows sealed up with new rubber, I probably won't drive it in the rain till then anyway. It was a Kodak Moment (tm) when I installed the new "heatbeater" Sears DieHard battery and tried out all the lights, turn signals, emergency flashers, high/low beam, etc. etc. It all 'worked a treat' except the wipers as mentioned above. The 6-volt starter had already been updated with an extra relay as described elsewhere on this list so when I put in the 12-volt starter I also put in a 12-volt relay. Starting shouldn't be a problem for quite some time.

The Westfalia Tent that I mentioned last time I posted to this list is really excellent. I had to repair one of the corner poles but that was quite easy with my handy wire-feed welder. We set it up in the back-yard and Janice and I both agree that it will be great fun to take camping. Everything except the above mentioned pole is in excellent condition.

Once I have this vehicle running and driving I think I'll take a break from VW mechanical work for a couple months. Summer has *definately* arrived this week in Tucson, Arizona.

-Dyer

------------------------------ Dyer Lytle dlytle@as.arizona.edu http://as.arizona.edu/~dlytle HST NICMOS Project Steward Observatory University of Arizona ------------------------------