Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jun 1996 09:47:54 GMT
From:         Lynne Meyer-Gay <meyergay@user1.channel1.com>
Subject:      Restoring "The Great White Whale"

The old van--'72 camper, white, pop-top and all--is a landmark in my Cambridge, Mass. neighborhood. People depend on seeing it there in the sea of BMWs to know that good things about the world survive. There are so few left around here (salted roads in winter=rust) that it is left to me alone to return the peace sign she inspires when people see the White Whale and want to nostalgically acknowledge times gone by. I bought her brand new, and she has gone through many phases--the years of camping and trekking when my daughter was small, the years as a teenagers' hideout, and in most recent years as my "garden shed on wheels" as I travel to each of my little community garden plots. But now it's time to give her her due (truthfully, I have a little cash now) and restore her to past glories. But how? This is not a job for me, though I'm handy. She is a street creature, and few private garages can be found in mid-city. Who, in my area, could take on: major rust around the bottom edges, side door off the track, rusted, and locked shut (fell off in the middle of Harvard St. one day!), floors below driver's and passenger's seat rusted away and already replaced, little pock marks all over the exterior, heating system that dropped off ten years ago and probably a host of sins that cannot be seen? At what price? I've called Klick and Klack to ask if it's worth it, but haven't gotten on the show yet. She runs great, of course. Almost problem-free these 24 years--except a new transmission and a new engine after my teenager continued to drive it with the little red light on. 105,000 miles. Any response would be appreciated. I am not a car officiado, so it's all learning from here on out.

Lynne Meyer-Gay Academic Editor 10 Bowdoin Street Cambridge, MA 02138 617-491-4263