Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jun 1996 12:43:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Bob Hufford <bhufford@mail.orion.org>
Subject:      It's a Keeper! (long)

My wife (Terri) was scanning the Sunday classifieds yesterday and in the Miscellaneous appliances column was an ad for a freezer, microwave, cab off of a tractor and a '64 Volkswagon (sic) van, sunroof, needs work. She called me at work and I dialed the number ... disconnected or no longer in service. I contacted the newspaper office and got the correct number. I spoke to a lady with a heavy Spanish accent. She said that they had bought the Bus new in California, but when they drove it out here 13 years ago they just put it in storage in the barn and never licensed it in Missouri. She stated that her husband was trying to start the Bus (in the barn about a 1/2 mile distant) and that I should probably come talk to him. She asked when I wanted to come out and I replied "Now!".

I stopped by home to pick up my wife and kids and headed out to Willard, Missouri. When we pulled up in the barn yard I could see the Bus through the open side door. There was a beautiful splitty nose, red & grey, chrome emblem glinting in the afternoon sun. Trying to compose myself I walked into the barn and was greeted by Ralph Flores, 75 year old original owner of this gorgeous '64 Deluxe. We exchanged pleasantries and I proceeded to look over the Bus.

There was a dent in the driver's side rear corner. The rear bumper was an obvious junk-yard replacement (holes cut for a Beetle exhaust, tho' this Bus still had the original Bus muffler), the passenger door had a small crease/scratch, and the front bumper guards had guarded a few times. Other than that the Bus was in a time warp. Absolutely no rust, the rubber seals looked new, the upholstery was covered in clear plastic covers (done the week it was purchased). The headliner was perfect, all the trim was intact (tho' the side steps off the front bumper were a little bent). I looked at the odometer ... 61,000 miles (original).

They had purchased new radials the week before (had to take off the wheels to take them to Monkey Wards, as the Bus was not running due to 13 year old gas). The owner was the head mechanic at a VW dealer in San Francisco (Carson?) and purchased the Bus new in late '63. He had 6 kids so he needed a people hauler (it's a 9-passenger Bus). They lived in San Mateo and just drove the Bus around town, to Disneyland twice, and to the cabin at Lake Tahoe a few times. It was always garage kept (and will continue to be!) and well maintained. The rear deck had a rectangular hole cut in it just above the pully (which is a double pully). The owner was also an airplane mechanic and drove a generator (mounted in the luggage area) off of the VW motor as he worked "in the field".

Needless to say, I had to have this Bus! He wouldn't come down off of his asking price as he had been told by a local VW shop (where he went to buy a fuel filter) that the Bus was "priceless". He held firm and I had to pay the entire *$2000* that he was asking. :_)

This Bus will come home to its second (and last) owner this weekend as soon as I clear a space in the garage and there is no threat of hail storms. My other Busses will all have to leave and I will come down on my asking prices to facilite their departure.

I still have SEG on my face. ;-)

Oh yeah, Joel? Change the stats ... :-))

Bob Hufford \\ // YardBusses "Back Yard Busses" \\ \\// // '60 Double-Door Panel \\ \/ // '81 Vanagon L (Sunroof) bhufford@mail.orion.org \\ //\\ // '61,'63,'63,'71,'72 Bones \\/ \\/ '64 Sunroof Deluxe (Garage Bus)

-- "Dedicated to the Storage and Degradation of Vintage Transporters" --