Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jun 1996 03:58:30 -0400
From:         BusBoys@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Oil cooler for 81 Westy

Weston -

I run a similar cooler setup we sell on my 80 Vanagon. Myself, I mounted the cooler up front behind the air grille to really catch the cool air. Ran copper lines about 2/3 the way back to the engine (where I mounted the oil filter just head of the rear left tire), then hoses from there to the engine. Some list members mentioned a possibility of a loss in oil pressure, but it was insignificant in my case, ran just fine. I've run similar systems on other Bugs and Buses I own (and have owned) with little or no problem - usually mounted them to the front axle beam assembly used on these years (thru 79).

A popular location is near the transmission, mounted at an angle to catch the air flow, but I've always resisted that because of possible "road heat" being caught up into it.

Jim / BusBoys@aol.com