Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jun 1996 14:07:23 MST
From:         "Mike White" <MIKE.WHITE@law.utah.edu>
Subject:      Overheating Trauma

It continues. My plight of heat and woe.

I took the pioneer out last evening when the temparature was about 65 degrees.

After a quick 30 minute jaunt on the freeway and around town I parked the bus.

Immediately after hopping out I could smell the akrid smell of burning oil and a cooking engine. I opened the decklid and could feel the heat coming off. I touched the dipstick but for just a second, too hot. The engine was making those "tick-tick-tick" of metal cooling down and the oil was gurgling.

I stepped back and could see smoke rising from the louvers on the drivers side. Not a good sign.

So in order to get some idea of what we're talking about, I took my dipstick with me to the "spatula warehouse" store close to work and purchased a candy thermometer that will fit down the dipstick tube (the one I bought yesterday was to big !$#@!$) and goes to 400 degrees. I plan to start the engine and write some numbers down this evening.

What is a normal oil temparature? Mid 200's?

Lastly here's the new and improved list to troubleshoot your overheating:

* No crap in cooling fan * Fan nut is tight, and fan is not loose on shaft * Belt to generator taut * Engine tuned properly: - valves adjusted - timing adjusted - fresh oil - carb adjusted (adjusted slightly rich to burn cooler) - good compression ( > 100 in my case) - all spark plugs are firing - distributor is working properly * Fuel system functioning properly - good strong fuel pump - no silver regulator - clean fuel filters * Bottom and top of engine scrub washed clean. (It is shiny under there!) * Oil pressure release spring and valve clean and operational * Freeze plugs in fan shrod * Holes in engine tin are covered, and has good seal between apron and tin

So what's my poor engine's problem? Have I not payed my tribute to the VW god?

- Mike White

[Mail: mike.white@law.utah.edu - mwhite@eng.utah.edu] Visit my '57 23-Window VW BUS at: [http://cloud8.law.utah.edu/]