Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jun 1996 15:56:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:         dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu (Sami Dakhlia)
Subject:      Busses on 66 report

Howdy!

Bob asked Sami to write a trip report, and somehow that duty got foisted on me, Maria. So here goes--all complaints and criticisms go to Sami :-)

Laden with baby Julia in the Samimobile, we arrived in Springfield on Saturday afternoon while the June Bug Jamboree was wrapping up. The reports we heard from those who had been there were mostly that it was very hot out there on the asphalt! We saw some very interesting suntans and burns to attest to that. About 15 busses and crew cabs were parked at the lovely Springfield KOA when we arrived. Lots of familiar faces and busses from BBTA, but we got more of a chance to chat and put some names with the faces.

That evening a drive-in movie had been planned, but a general sense of lethargy coupled with an antipathy towards the feature film (_The Cable Guy_) led most everyone to stay and chat at the campground. Of course, many of those who said they wanted to get to sleep early were the ones engrossed in VW chat in the wee small hours!

We all had a lovely sleep at the campground, punctuated only by about 50 freight trains rolling through with whistles blowing, 10 low-flying aricraft, a million mosquitos, and half a million early-rising songbirds.

Fortunately, the next morning, Bob (Hufford) and Lance (Moeller) and their families were so kind as to cook us a lovely pancake breakfast (food provided by Bob's brother-in-law the food broker). It was a good chance to continue to visit, and at the end of the breakfast, Lance distributed door prizes. The gathering was small enough that we all got a prize!

Once we were all packed up, we headed out on Route 66. Most of the busses went out west towards Joplin and Kansas City, but Pete Sellers, Bob, Mark Mihalik, and we went east towards St. Louis. We saw lots of lovely scenery as well as some deserted towns and cheesy deserted motels. After a BBQ lunch at a truck stop, we parted ways. Sami and I were lucky enough to meet another bus owner on our way home--I guess some bus owners are crazy enough to pull off a freeway just to compare busses. This one was a lovely 76 custom bus owned by a ballet dancer in Connecticut. We topped off our Route 66 experience by visiting Ted Drewes in St. Louis and eating frozen custard.

This was a really fun weekend--the gathering was small enough to really get to know people. Lots of nice folks and nice busses. Thanks to Bob and Lance for putting it together--we look forward to the next one!

Respectfully submitted,

Maria and Sami