Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jun 1996 17:41:43 -0700
From:         jim@atcweb.atc.1dc.com (Jim Ellis)
Subject:      '67 Westy resto update (98% burnt out)

Wood Interior Refab: Just called Woodworker's Resource 5402 S. 40th Street, Phoenix, AZ and confirmed that Baltic Birch is available in 5' x 5' x .125" Estimated cost is $25-30.00 US each and is special order with only a couple of days wait. I would suggest calling your local "Fine Woods/Woodworker's" outlet near you.

Rekeying the Latches and Locks: Got it done last week. Paid through the A** and of course heard of the imfamous "someone else who coulda done it cheaper" after the deed was completed. I went with the good chrome and said to heck with the EXACT correct month on the part number. All work on one key. =)

Reinstalling the Locks and latches: Have you ever had the "pleasure" of reinstalling the long slider bars in the side cargo doors! Phew! what fun...

Insulation: Pink Panther delight and spray glue. The lungs love me. Safety first... I bought a roll of R-25 and quickly found that it was much too thick. Split it in half and it still looks plenty thick. If I used the whole thickness it would have compressed too much to capture any dead air. I didn't go for the sound deadening, foil covered carpet padding stuff. The intentions are to install some kind of a moisture/vapor barrier. I think I will get by just fine. Huh? Say what? I can't hear you...

Painting of overlooked items: See the flame post!

Overall: Slow progress and totally burnt on the project. Wish I never started the thing... Grrrrr. In reality, we will enjoy it when completed but are 12 months out of love with the bus. Flakey vendors have been a 98% buzz kill for my love of VWs.

Ellis needs an attitude adjustment...