Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jun 1996 18:34:16 -0700
From:         jim@atcweb.atc.1dc.com (Jim Ellis)
Subject:      Open letter to/flame on (unprof'l)Vendors!!!!!!!

Flakey vendors have been a 98% buzz kill to my love for VWs and doing business in general!!!!!

One example of several lately: Five weeks ago I handed off less than a dozen minor pieces that needed to be painted Pearl to a painter other than the Body Shop from Hell. This painter is fully aware of the ordeal that we went through with the bus. We discussed that this hassle would be avoided. The items would be painted relatively soon but no "screaming hurry." Translated, the time for completition was clearly agreed to be about two weeks from that date. Three weeks went by. Several calls to the painter went unreturned. I finally got in communication with the guy prior to the VW Classic and was told that the items would be painted before he left for the Classic. Several calls to the painter since the Classic(two weeks ago this Friday!!!) went unreturned. Each call to the guy was professional and contained both the office and home numbers. He knows me well enough to know that he can call anytime. Today I finally left a frustrated message in which I basically implored the guy to wake up, be professional, and at least return my (freakin) call. The call was returned by his girlfriend/SO just moments ago. She was livid that I would leave a "rude" message and basically stated several assumed aspects of working with her boy friend.

*"Binks" is not his real name. Appologies to anyone with that name.

Assumptions expressed by the girlfriend: Everyone knows that they are getting a heck of a deal when "Binks" does their work. "Binks" works for himself, works alot of hours, and as a businessman doesn't think that he and his girlfriend *owes* anyone anything. "Binks" has tried several times to call (me). <my machine is on all of the time and I have voice mail at the office 24/7.> She doesn't appreciate people calling the house all of the time and leaving rude messages and wanting him to do so much work.

OK, I stated my POV and explained that communication is the key. As an independant businessman I had to constanly follow up with CLIENTS to retain business and to be of SERVICE to them as they were my source of income. I realized that they were not working for me. I owed them the courtesy of professionalism. Craftsmanship was not the whole picture. Do business when you do business. I suggested that possibly that "Binks" might need to reevaluate his standard operating procedures if he is constantly getting rude phone calls at home. How about establishment of a work phone contact with an answering machine or service. Daily or semi-daily follow up of phone calls might stem the tide. I explained that I was tired of having the tables turned on me when trying to get things done.

I am very tired of waiting at bay for passive aggressive vendors throughout the auto, real estate, medical, electrical, plumbing, and other "professions" to come through with glimmers of professionalism. Skipped appointments and passed deadlines with no follow up, viewing their customers as pesty nuisances seems to be the trend! The client should not be reduced to the "rude" stage before the vendor responds.

Thanks to the vendors who ARE professional. Business id a two way street. I would be remissed if I didn't mention that the client has a responsiblity to step up and act professionally as well. Let's treat each other professionally and with respect! -ellis\

Whew! time for a vaction!!!