Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jun 1996 10:32:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:         John Grunkemeier <grunke@u.washington.edu>
Subject:      WTB CV Joint and fr. wheel bearings.

Hi all, My van is sick. I've got a 69 vw camper and have a new clunking noise that is getting progressively louder. The noise is not really a grinding noise, but more of a clunking that appears to correlate with the speed of the car and not the engine. Also, sometimes it goes away, but comes back when I turn a corner to the right. This info coupled with the fact that I noticed the rt. inner CV boot is torn leads me to believe it is the CV joint. However, I'm not sure. I guess I am going to tear it apart anyway to put on a new boot and grease. So my question is: Do these symptoms sound like a CV joint? Or does a front wheel bearing sound like this when it goes? Also, Bow Wow wants $80 for the CV and $10.50 for each front wheel bearing, which seems reasonable, but as a grad student I would rather spend the $80 on beer. So I was wondering if anyone knew of any good cheap source for these parts?

Thanks,

John

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- John Grunkemeier E-mail: grunke@u.washington.edu Center for Bioengineering work: (206) 685-2440 Box 351750, University of Washington home: (206) 522-3557 Seattle, WA 98195 FAX: (206) 543-3778 USA