Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jun 1996 10:32:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      RE: Hi Again + 1962 timing help

>This van has a 1966 engine.. >The crankshaft pulley has TWO notches in it -- Muir says in an early >edition that the first (LH) notch is 7.5deg. BTDC , and the second (RH) >notch is 10deg. BTDC. Is this right? >According to a later copy of Muir I should have 3 timing notches.

Most type-1 engines have swapped pullies at one time or another, that I've seen anyway. I've found little correlation between Muir and what's on the bench in front of me, probably for that reason I'd guess.

But yes, the only constant seems to be the pullies with two marks about 1/8" (three mm for you metric types) apart. As far as I know, the left mark is 7.5, and the right is 10 BTDC. Some pullies with these two marks, also have a third mark to their left around 1/2" (10-12 mm). This, if you have it, is TDC.

>My boyfriend has taught me a presumably unorthodox timing method >without using a static light. Set the engine at 7.5deg BTDC (or whatever), >set the distributor at the exact point it sparks as you rotate it. > >What advantages are there to using a light over this method?

I haven't used that exact method, but something pretty similar. I hesitate to time by turning the distributor without rotating the engine, since slop can creep in due to the lash (less-than-perfect fit) between the various distributor drive gears.

I pull the center wire, then rotate the engine slowly clockwise until the pulley notches approach the crankcase crack. then I listen veerrrrry carefully as I keep rotating the engine, for a tiny "tick" inside the distributor, which is the points opening. That fires the plug, or would if the center wire was in place. You need a quiet place to do this-- no dogs barking or cars rushing by.

If you miss the "tick" sound, DON'T back the engine off counter-clockwise and try again. That wouldn't damage anything, but the gear lash might put the distributor in a slightly false position for the next firing until the engine rotates far enough to take up the lash. This might be what is causing your spark to show up in strange places. Just keep turning clockwise till they come around again.

Another possible cause of a jumpy spark, might be worn distributor shaft bearings. Pull off the cap and rotor, grab the shaft, and give it a hard shake. It shouldn't move side to side at all. If it moves even a little, it's time for a new or rebuilt distributor. Rotational play is a different matter-- they can turn quite a ways (by hand) with no harm.

You might also want to call a knowledgeable VW place with the serial number from your distributor, and ask them if both #1 and #3 fire at the same advance angle. On 009's, for one example, #3 is retarded several degrees from the other plugs. Anybody know if other distributors have this characteristic?

The reason to keep an eye on this, is because when you static-time your engine by hand, half the time #1 plug fires when the pulley notch hits the crack, and the other half #3 plug fires when it hits the crack. If you set it by #3 and your distributor is one of the #3-offset types, you might be a few degrees away from where you expected to be.

You can avoid this, of course, by making sure the distributor rotor is pointing at the #1 cap post when the marks come to the crack. On most upright engines I've seen, it points at #1 when it's pointing at the front passenger's seat. Trace the plug wire from the right front (FIF) plug to make sure.

>The spark was all over the place - big difference in strength & position. >Would this be because the point gap was wrong? (that was a nightmare >too... I need to get some emery paper & file it down & try again).

Aye Yie Yie... sounds like my old college days, when I used to scrounge for change to put gas in my Type-3. Yes, if your points are old and have a big stalactite on them, then the contact can vary somewhat, and the apparent point gap (and timing) can vary with each spark. Filing them back down can cure that for a while, but your points are on borrowed time. I'd get some new ones soon if possible.

>specific advice & general encouragement welcome.

Welcome back! :^)

>Bonus question: does it matter that I broke a little piece out of the >generator pulley? I've effectively lengthened one of the notches, but >haven't warped it.

Nope, doesn't matter to the operation of the engine. But it might make it a little tougher to loosen the pulley next time, if the flat corner of the notch gets rounded off. If worse comes to worst, clamp some vicegrips on the rim of the pulley to hold it. But be careful-- this CAN warp the pulley sometimes. A last resort only.

>Sarah >'62 Dormobile

Gotta ask-- what is a Dormobile? An English/European version of a Kombi? Inquiring minds want to know.