Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jun 1996 17:31:40 +0000
From:         "christian krahforst" <7039ckrah@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
Subject:      Re: Why adjust valves?

I also jump at the chance to check and adjust the valves (1600 DP) usually happens before 3000 ticks on the odometer. After this harsh winter and my first year with foo ('65 Deluxe), I had to replace the heads, (I just had to, O.K.) Anyway, one of the heads had two cracks in it and I choose not to re-use any of the valves from both heads. A month later I tried to completely dissassemble the trashed head. I couldn't get a couple of the valves out. They were in tight. The valve guides were way too tight. The grooves where the valve keepers mate were mashed such that the clearance (Clarence) wouldn't allow me to pull the valve out. All the while I've got a valve clatter on my new headed 1600 DP. What gives? I thought after many valve adjustments I should be able to get it right (It's really not rocket science.) The morning before our Memorial camping trip, I attack the valves again. I find they're all in good spec., 'cept maybe one (Intake, cylinder #4). I pay real close attention here and find that if I rotate the adjusting screw just a little bit (maybe 1/16 th of a turn) the clearance goes to zero. Backed the screw all the way out to find that the tip had been mercilessly pounding away in one spot such that the impression of the valve stem (from my old head) had left its deep mark on the tip of the adjusting screw. Now the rocker - valve system is designed to connect off center such that the valve rotates slightly with each tap. Apparently this didn't happen. I backed out the screw, filed it round, re-installed and adjusted. Ah, quite... Never ran better.........

(All this from doing valve adjustments) christian krahforst Environmental Sciences Program 100 Morrissey Blvd University of Massachusetts Boston, MA 02125

'65 Deluxe