Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jun 1996 23:35:08 +0100
From:         Sarah Gallagher <sarah@sprynet.co.uk>
Subject:      RE: 1962 timing help + Dormobile (was RE: Hi Again + 1962 timing help)

Steve,

Thanks for clearing up the pulley-notch anomaly, and for all the other tips which are very useful to know (I didn't know about the not-turning- the-engine-backwards thing).

At 12:45 20/06/96 -0500, Steve wrote: : >>The spark was all over the place - big difference in strength & position. >>Would this be because the point gap was wrong? (that was a nightmare >>too... I need to get some emery paper & file it down & try again). > >Aye Yie Yie... sounds like my old college days, when I used to scrounge >for change to put gas in my Type-3. Yes, if your points are old and have >a big stalactite on them, then the contact can vary somewhat, and the >apparent point gap (and timing) can vary with each spark. Filing them back >down can cure that for a while, but your points are on borrowed time. >I'd get some new ones soon if possible.

I was under the impression that this 'stalactite' formed quickly after a few sparks anyway, even on new points ?? What counts as a 'big' stalactite in this case (i.e. when do points need renewing)?

>Gotta ask-- what is a Dormobile? An English/European version of a Kombi? >Inquiring minds want to know.

It is/was the camping conversion by Martin Walter of Folkestone, England. The Dormobile roof was also put onto some Devon campers. It's the one which elevates up hinged along one side of the van, with stripey red canvas and glass windows in it. The complete Dormobile conversion is rare -- apparently only 4 splitty ones in the U.K. I've never seen another one. Unfortunately mine has had some 'home improvements' made to it in the past & is incomplete. I'm hoping to add a Dormobile page to my website some time soon. If there are any other Dormobile owners out there (not just splitties), get in touch.

Sarah '62 Dormobile --------------------- sarah@sprynet.co.uk http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/slg/