Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jun 1996 10:40:09 -0300
From:         edge@interramp.com
Subject:      Re: oil temp gauge

Linda J. Bartnik wrote: > > Hello all, > Today I ordered the VDO 2-1/16" oil temp gauge, the sump plate sending unit, and > the wiring harness. I have about 1000 miles to go until my next oil change so I > will install it then. > > Oh yeah, before I forget: Please, if you're gonna reply to this, reply to > s_bartnik@wow.com and not the address I'm mailing it from. > > Now, as I said before, I will be installing the gauge in the dummy plate next to > the speedometer in my '78 bus. Someone said that I could get a hole drill bit > to drill the hole for the gauge. I've never heard of this, but I'm new to > drilling :) , so would sears have this? Any tricks I need to know? If I run > into any difficulty with installation, I will be counting on you. If anyone has > done this procedure, I would appreciate if it you'd send a procedure to me at > the above address so I can study ahead. > > Many thanks everybody. I have a bad feeling though that this gauge is going to > tell me something I'd rather not know. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, until you > have to buy a new engine :) . Actually, I think my bus seems to be running > cooler than before, especially since my engine compartment is much more sealed > than it used to be. We'll see, I guess. > > Sean

It's easy. All you need is a hole drill the size of the gauge (51mm??), a pilot bit that fits in the hole bit, (usually comes with the hole bit, but not always.) and a screwdriver.

1. Remove the four screws around the instrument gauge cluster. 2. Unplug the speedometer cable from underneath the speedo. 3. Pull out the panel a few inches (dozens of wires still attached) 4. Remove the two screws that hold the dummy plate on. The glass will fall out in your hands so be careful not to break. 5. Take the dummy plate and the two screw and screw it down on a peice of wood that won't easily move around. ( I used my deck) 6. Drill the hole, carefully and slowly. 7. Insert the gauge and bolt it in. 8. Install the gauge in the dummy plate in the instrument cluster. 9. Run the wires and your done!

If you are like me you will indeed see something you don't like after installing the gauge. I have since done a total rebuild.

Good luck!