Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jun 1996 08:18:35 -0700
From:         Robert Crawford <robertc@snowcrest.net>
Subject:      Re: oil, ccc, cb channel

At 03:03 AM 6/21/96 -0500, Rick Gordon wrote:

>re CCC trip: >How about stretching northwards just a little more. I think Redding is >about a (long) day's drive from Seattle. Perhaps somewhere in that vicinity >would enable an entire West Coast gathering!

Reddng would be great for me.

> >re CB channels: >on I-5, ch 19 is primary, ch 17 is supposed to be getting some traffic, and

I drive from California to Oregon and back nearly every day while at work on I-5 and find that nearly all trucks are on 17. When I drove a truck in the Sacramento valley nearly everyone was on 17. In Calif. the CHP monitors 17 (they usually will not answer) and assume that you are on 17 when they give instructions to a driver on the CB (Instructions include such things as; slow down, move over, and WAKE UP!!). I stopped driving a truck in the late 80's but as I talk to other drivers while going over the Siskiyou Mts. it does not appear that much has changed.

>them though. Since there are repeaters up and down the coast, there is a >lot of 2M out there, but you have to pass a test to operate there.

2M has it's place and I don't want to seem to be knock it but, theres no chat about anything except radios and WWII. There is also the problem that unless you know someone to call for no on will answer (BTW: my scanner checks 146.520 every couple of seconds) I keep the radio on the local repeaters for the area that I am in most of the day, and seldom hear anything of interest. When a interesting coversation does start (as defined by me of course, ie. books, computers(non-packet related), black powder shooting, archery, ect.) the people involved will be chased off the repeater.

Again, I don't want to knock Amateur radio, but, people need to remember that everything has it's place. If I could only have one two-way radio in my van it would have to be the CB, and in California and Oregon it would be (is) on 17.

(but I can have more than one radio in my van so if you ever see a very beat up diesel antenna-wagon with licence plates that say KD6EVH give me a shout on whatever you got, theres a good chance that I'll hear you)

oh yeah, I mounted my radios on one of those triangular hump mount things with the flaps removed, I placed it right behind the gearshift, it is screwed to the heater vent/floor.

Robert Crawford KD6EVH >