Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jun 96 09:48:00 PST
From:         Kate Weber Brown <KWBrown@sierrasys.com>
Subject:      De-lurk, intro, and request for info.

Hi, folks.

I'm de-lurking, stung by the references in this week's stats to no-good, lousy, rotten lurkers ;-) My name's Kate, and I live in Victoria, BC. At the moment, I am without a VW, but am seriously considering picking up a Westie for camping with my husband and 9-month-old son, and occasional commuting and knocking-about-town.

Waaaaaay back in the dark ages, I was a flat-broke student who bought a '71 Super Beetle with the last of my money, only to discover that it was in 'orrible shape. Bought Muir's book and slooowly overhauled her into drive-across-the-country condition. Paid for the rest of my education doing tune-ups for a local bug shop, since it paid better than washing dishes.

I was never a talented mechanic, and frankly, bashed my knuckles, stripped nuts, and spent hours making big messes without making lots of progress on projects more complicated than basic tuning. The overhaul came from desperation. Now, with the kid, I'm not sure I can make a commitment to doing my own work and giving the car the attention it needs. Happily, I'm an employed computer weenie now, and can afford to pay someone to help me out.

THAT SAID--I'm looking for suggestions on

1)What type of bus (in your opinion) will be a nice, friendly, reliable (within VW limits) addition to our family

2) (Victoria Local Knowledge) Which mechanic locals recommend for work and maintenance on the vehicle, and

3) (VLN pt. 2) Where I might go looking for the bus recommended in item 1).

Regards,

Kate Weber Brown kwbrown@sierrasys.com