Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jun 1996 14:23:29 -0400
From:         "David Easterwood" <deasterw@st6000.sct.edu>
Subject:      Re: Resurrection of '64 Deluxe

>I plan to tow the newly acquired '64 Sunroof Deluxe Bus home this >evening and start the process of getting it back on the road. It has >been sitting (inside a barn) for 13 years. Dave Easterwood suggested >that I go ahead and rebuild the motor (the Bus has 61K miles). I >would like to get this Bus going ASAP, but if a rebuild is required, >then it will be done (but probably not by me).

I've split cases on enough engines that have been sitting "only a few years" to know it would be time and money well spent. One of those "pay now, or REALLY PAY later" deals. In the "Best Possible Case", the oil has seeped down into the bottom of the case and broken down into a sludge-like mess.

There has likely been moisture condensation inside the heads, and possibly even inside the case. Take off the heads and look. You'll want to clean the carbon build-up off at least. Check how the valves ride in the guides. Is there much play? There shouldn't be. I would replace all the guides and the exhaust valves.

Look in the cylinders at the top of the pistons. What are all those black and brown stuff on the top of the pistons which has flaked off and some of it is now in the cylinders? Thats more carbon and rust that if you just started the engine up would be wearing out your rings and cylinder walls. New pistons & cylinders.

Take the case to a machine shop and have them check where your main bearings go. At 61K you probably don't need align boring as long as the engine was well maintained. Have them check the thrust also. Your crankshaft should be fine, but have them mike it to be sure. The camshaft should be fine also, but look at the lobes for oval depressions from lifters.

Take your rods to be rebuilt AND RE-BUSHED. I think most rod failures stem from not having the wrist pin end of the rods re-bushed.

Use a NEW oil pump.

Just my $0.02, but these are all things that can save you money down the road. These are all OPINIONS from my own experience with engines down south, where the HUMIDITY is often above 80%.

Dave