Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jun 1996 20:27:41 +0200
From:         GlenSwanson@dk-online.dk (Glen Swanson)
Subject:      painting the 61split and pop out window seals

Yesterday was the big day. I got up early and drove the van in to the state inspectors to have them evaluate the import duty. Payed 6,500 danish crowns, which is an approximation of the total amount. I think that works out to about $1200USA. These people can not be rushed and will calculate the full cost during the coming weeks.

I then drove the van up to my in laws where I stripped the vehicle of every component I could think up in preparation for the painters. This was done in two phases as I still had to drive the van into Sweden to the painter. Got some odd looks at the ferry and I was sure they were going to stop me in at the border crossing. The three inspectors gave a long look as I drove on by. The van looked quite the sight, no bumpers, front emblem gone with a very dirty shadow of VW on the nose, and so on.

The paint shop was waiting with open arms. They had a bay all cleared out for me, so I went to work removing glass lights crome and anything else I could spot.

I've got a large box of new window seals ready to put in so new paint and new rubber should look great.

All went well enough, thought the painter his crew and I were quite stumped about the seal on the window of the pop outs. With brute strength we pealed that sucker out: as it appears to be sandwiched between the two layers of the frame. The question is: How will I ever squeeze a new seal into this very tight grove. I must be missing something here in the process. Do I separate the inner and outer seals from the glass and then close them onto the inner and outer frame components? I'm stumped. Anyone been there, done that and care to walk me through the process involved. I've checked the shop manuals and can't see a good discription.

The painter hopes to be finished Monday, so figure that will work out to about Wednesday in reality mode. Wish me luck.

Glen Swanson 1956 de luxe sedan daily driver 1961 221 transporter