Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jun 1996 14:40:41 +0000
From:         jwilliam@metronet.com
Subject:      '89 Westy For Sale

In today's Dallas Morning News:

'89 VW Camper, super clean, 65k, $12,500, 214-321-1147.

I looked at this Camper this morning. White, grey interior. Full Westfalia. Actually has about 67,500 miles on it. Los Angeles car that has been in the Dallas area for about 2 years. Body is in excellent condition, no apparent dents (one small door ding low on the body, forget where). Owner has had it since about 2k miles, but never used it as a camper. Stove, refrigerator appear never to have been used. Automatic. Nice looking car, but needs some clean up.

Front end has very few (6 or so) very small rock chips just above the bumper. Otherwise, it's perfect. Owner has a bra for it. No rust anywhere. Rubber is all in very good condition. Black Bumper and front plastic slightly discolored. Rear bumper has a tear on the right side of center. Poptop rubber is starting to come loose (3" or so on the left side above the sink). Top could use scrubbing. Plastic vent probably needs to be replaced. Paint needs to be rubbed out and waxed (it's in very good condition, but slightly dull). Tires are good, but Kelly on the front and Firestone on the back. Brakes squeek, may need work. Rear hatch struts need to be replaced.

Probably needs new shocks. Interior needs to be cleaned well (smells a little). No apparent wear, tears, or problems inside. May be missing one of the interior tables (the larger one), and possibly the table leg (the front one). Glanced under the front end and couldn't see any leakage problems around the steering rack, though didn't inspect it thoroughly. No evidence of heads leaking underneath. However, I did find what looks to be an antifreeze leak on the right side just under the alternator. A single stream leaking down the pipe coming out of the head on the back side. Evidence of antifreeze on the back motor support.

Some kind of "special" aftermarket air conditioner that has vents under the rear seat and on the dash where the radio normally mounts (radio is now on the floor in a plastic console just behind the shift). Air seems to work well. Starter feels a little rough on starting, but engine seems to run well with no roughness or noise.

A very nice looking camper (after a few hours of clean up). A little rich for me at $12,500. Don't know if this is a fair price or not, but more than I want to pay right now.

That's all I know about it. I have no connection or interest in the vehicle. Just passing on what I saw when I looked at it. Call the owner direct.

Joe Williams '85 Westy