Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Jun 1996 19:17:17 -0700
From:         tomstory@slip.net (Thomas Story)
Subject:      Overheating and MPG?

My wife and I took our 77 Westy (78 engine) on its first camping trip this weekend. It ran good except for a tendency to run hot and not so great mileage. On long straight runs the temps were holding between 240-270, needless to say I was stopping alot to let it cool off. MPG were around 13.5 with 92 and 15 with 87 octane. So I'm wondering if this combined with the hot running has something to do with the timing, or the advance mechanism? Around town here (San Francisco) the engine runs fine, around 190-210temps.

Any advice as to the problem? The thermostat is removed, and there's a 2 inch gap in the engine seal near the rear that I plan on fixing, could that contribute to the problem? Thanks for any and all advice, Tom

"Who are You?" "I'm fine thanks, who are you?" "I'm fine too, but you no get in without the password"