Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jun 1996 18:38:51 -0700
From:         tomstory@slip.net (Tomstory)
Subject:      Oil cooler placement?

Ok, ONE more time...: )

I bought the second oil cooler today from the place that was supposed to install it two days ago...: (, now I know why I learned to do all this stuff in the first place...

The oil cooler is the DERALE brand cooler with the 10" electric fan, part number 15800, same exact one Bernie Bergman sells. It will not, repeat NOT fit in the engine compartment, so half of you will be dissapointed and the other half pleased : ). It will also NOT fit above the tranny, however the one place it will actually fit is under the chassis, drivers side, kind of ahead of the drain for the sink (yes it's a 77 Westy), and the front of it is against the front crossmember( I think)...I'm a little concerned about the front tire kicking up mud and water onto this thing. I plan on using stainless braided hose, so rocks and such shouldn't be an issue. Ground clearance is higher than my propane tank so that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Does this seem like a decent place to put it? I tend to think putting it in the engine compartment would not be good, and since I'm going to use braided hose, I think it should be ok in that department. Has anyone installed one of these models before? What about the power for the fan, what would be a good source for the power for that?

Sorry this is so long, but I've been trying to leave for a week now, and really need to get this thing installed. I think it can't hurt, can only help keep the oil cooler than it is now, and since I'll be driving something close to 10,000 miles in one month, the cooler the better! : )

Any and all advice greatly appreciated! Thanks, TOM

"So you're going to take us for a ride eh?" "Yeah, come on" "Well I don't have a sister!" "That's ok we no gotta car!"