Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jun 1996 23:26:51 -0700
From:         Arnold Schultz <aschultz@smartt.com>
Subject:      Re: Cooling Intake Air?

My $.02 When a turbo charger is compressing the air the temperature rises sharply. In the combustion chamber prior to ignition you would like to have lots of dense cool air and low pressure, in such that the power is derived from the increase in pressure due to the increase in temperature when the ignition or burn happens... so to let high temp air into the combustion chamber would decrease power, also if the temps are to high going in you can have preignition just from the rise in temp during the compression stroke. The intercooler is to keep the intake air from getting to high in temp, in such keeping the intake air as dense or cool as possible to maximize the power. As for the "freezing of the carburetor" ALL carburetors have this problem. It is all because of some guy by the name of "Burnilli", He stated that as the velocity of air increases temp and press decrease. SO... in your carburetor at the venturi or by the main jets you get a decreases in pressure and that lets the fuel get sucked(pushed for you physics types) into the air stream. But the temp gets lower as well and if the OAT (outside air temp) is low and the humidity is high then it may be possible that the air temp at the venturi goes below freezing and allowes the water in the air as it passes the supper cooled metal parts to cling and build up on them to a point that the engine gets choked off. As in Aircraft most all cars have a carburetor heat system, the older ones were quite simple... the air came from around the exhaust manifold. Note: if the OAT is already below freezing you should not use carb heat as this will bring the intake air temp above freezing just to freeze in the carb again. Turbo or super chargers in aircraft are there mainly to compensate for the decrease in power due to the decrease in air density at altitude. So that the engine has the same engine inlet pressure as it did at sealevel.