Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Jun 1996 12:34:49, -0500
From:         TVCR50A@prodigy.com ( MICHAEL G BENTHIN)
Subject:      Re: oil filters

Jim (Bus Boys) says: Bosch Oil Filters bad? I always get mine from the dealer (It says Audi on the box)- like the full flow feature when you blow thru them- some have backflow valves which can impede flow, but since it's at the lowest point in system, (my 78 engine) the backflow valve is not necessary? My only booboo in past was using a filter that has no ridges on it for a wrench- straps don't fit in there- the secret is to get a board like a 2x4 and drill two holes in it o one near end, other about 3" away to just fit 12 penny nails- pound them into the filter, turn it off!!

BTW, this leads to STORY about my 71 bus- I added an oil cooler and filter by braising on two elbows and copper pipes to the sumplate, and running the pipes forward to cooler and filter bolted between body rails and protected by steel mesh plate. This allowed the oil to be SUCKED up th e sump pipe as before, but first flows from engine bottom thru cooler and filter. Using gauges, it did not lower oil pressure (raised it because coo ler), and ran fine (from my 110k rebuild to 220 retirement). Took longer to pump up when oil changed (due to air in system?) To change oil, pulled off a clamped hose. The sumplate still could be pulled to check for sludge, metal wear..... MB in NJ