Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Jun 1996 13:51:32 -0400
From:         BusBoys@aol.com
Subject:      Re: How do I lower my late model?

MSHoffmn@aol.com writes:

>I have a 1969 type II single cab pick up, it has a mild resto custom look, >and I would now like to lower it a bit (3-4inches), any advice on what method >is best, cost, and who has the parts would be greatly appreciated.

OK, OK, OK, at the risk of having cinder blocks thrown at me from Tom Johnson, Jonathan whipping me with a front emblem and Thom Fitzpatrick dressing up in high heels, here's the low-down (pun?) on lowering yer 69 Single Cab:

Bus Boys got into the " bus biz" back in '87 modifying front beams so that they can be adjustable from stock height to as low as 6 inches down. Similar to the Avis adjusters (for Bugs) that Berg carries now, we had to make our own modifications to this design to provide maximum clearance from the shift rod and the steering drag link. And instead of the "V" shape of the adjuster plate and teeth tig-welded on to the beam, it's sort of a half V to provide maximum locking effect. What the adjusters (there are two, one on each beam tube in the center,) do is rotate the center block guide in 6 degree increments. Available in two ways - Bare Beam with adjusters installed is $289 EXCHANGE and we must have yer old beam in advance on 68-69 models, because there's a lot of volks out there mounting this particular beam onto their 56-67 beams these days, thus making a very critical core shortage (example, I have none of these in stock right now because of this)(when we get yer old beam, we can install the adjusters provided it's not rusted out, center pin box isn't falling off, snubber arms aren't cut off, etc.) - BTW the beam does come with a new GERMAN Center Pin and Reconditioned Swing Lever and it's fully cleaned out and painted black.. Or buy just the adjuster kit for $125 and install it yerself - I really recommend being proficient with a tig welder, and have a milling device to elongated the center block hole as shown in the kit instructions provided. Order 210-40001EX for the beam or 220-40003 for the adjuster kit. We ship beams UPS all over the world these days, so getting one to you shouldn't be a problem.

OK, now to the rear end - About 4 years ago we developed a set of lowering plates we call the "Boomerang", because, well, they're shaped like one. These attach between the rear spring plate and the rear axle bearing housing, allowing a 3.5 to 4 inch drop in the rear (non-adjustable). Kit comes with two plates, mounting hardware and instructions. Order 220-51001 and the price is $295 for the kit. Very simple to install.

I've developed some info sheets on the products above described and can either snail mail or FAX them direct off of the 'puter if you have FAX capabilities.

OK, all the purists out there can take over now :-)

Jim / BusBoys@aol.com