Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Jun 1996 21:08:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Bob Hufford <bhufford@mail.orion.org>
Subject:      '64 Deluxe Out of Hibernation (long)

Went out this morning to liberate the '64 Sunroof Deluxe Bus from the confines of the barn which had been its home for the past 13 years. The PO had taken the wheels into Monkey Wards to have new radials mounted last week, so I didn't have to bring the air-tank and spare wheels that I usually bring to a Bus rescue. I also brought along a large friend to help shove the Bus on the tow dolly (didn't feel like using the come-along in the oppressive heat/humidity of SW Missouri). After we pushed the Bus out of the barn, we snapped several pictures and shot some video. It was great to see this Bus basking in the light of day. Well, maybe no *so* great. The bright sun revealed several blemishes and small spots of surface rust (rock chips, etc.). I also noticed an additional bit of body damage (the rear apron had been "bent" to allow the use of a Beetle muffler at some point [tho' the Bus currently sports the correct single tip exhaust]). I guess this means that the rear bumper with the holes for the Beetle exhaust is probably original). The Bus was then towed to its new home with ease.

Once back in my driveway, I began to remove the years of barn dust and mud-dauber "specks" that had accumulated on the roof (and sunroof vinyl). With the dirt rinsed away and the glass cleaned the Bus began to look pretty good. It was 90/90 (heat/humidity) so I didn't finish cleaning the interior or start on removing the oxidation from the paint. I plan to remove the yellowed (formerly clear with gold "starbursts") platic covers that have sealed the original upholstery (seats & side panels) since the Bus was about a week old. I appears that some sort of stains may have developed between the plastic and the seats, but the panels seem to have avoided this peril. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

After an extensive cleaning of the interior and the initial buffing of the almost 33-year-old paint, I will begin to tackle the mechanical degradation brought on by the thirteen-year-sit. The PO added brake fluid yesterday and the Bus seems to have decent "pedal". I will replace the rubber lines and probably the cylinders (wheel & master) anyway (can't be too safe). I will then remove the motor and tear it down to see what sort of ugliness has crept in. I may go ahead and put a 40 HP motor in (that was used regularly up until a year ago) just to take this baby 'round the block (after the brakes are fixed, of course).

I can hardly wait! More as it develops ...

Bob Hufford \\ // YardBusses (for sale) "Back Yard Busses" \\ \\// // '60 Double-Door Panel \\ \/ // '81 Vanagon L (Sunroof) bhufford@mail.orion.org \\ //\\ // '61,'61,'63,'63,'71 Bones \\/ \\/ -- "Dedicated to the Storage and Degradation of Vintage Transporters" --