Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Jun 1996 20:14:24 -0700
From:         tomstory@slip.net (Tomstory)
Subject:      Oil cooler placement...pt II

Well, after hearing a ton of different responses concerning the use of a second oil cooler, ranging from Do not use one, they're supposed to run hot, use one, put it outside, put it inside, put it here put it there...you get the picture...I have decided to use one. My reasons are as follows.

1. My Westy runs up to about 270 with only an hours worth of freeway driving in 70-80 degree weather. Timing is fine, compression is good, I run 89 octane, the vehicle runs good.

2. I'm going to be travelling almost 10,000 miles in a month, during the hottest month of the year in the US.

3. I'm going to be towing a small (4 x 8') utility trailer on the way back.

4. I don't want to have to stop EVERY hour for a half hour to let the engine cool down.

5. What the hell.

I've located it in theengine compartment. I did this because if I located it underneath it would require almost 15' of Stainless Steel tubing, which at almost 8$ a foot is expensive. This keeps the lines alot shorter, and it can't be destroyed as easily from underneath.

I have the 10" fan on it, and tommorrow I'll wire it up to a toggle switch on the dash. I have a temp gauge to monitor the conditions. If I find that it doesn't help in this location, it's a simple matter if relocating it, or getting rid of it alltogether.

I was getting a headache from so many different opinions (no insult intended, really, I value differing opinions) that I just decided to try it one way and see what happens. I'll keep everyone informed as to how it goes.

I think I'll actually stay subscribed and have my wife give updates on my trip if no one minds, ok it would also be nice to get some advice if I break down! : ) So I'm hopefully off tommorrow for Mass. from San Francisco. The return trip is completely open and free...there's no time limit and no area out of reach! Hope to see some of you on the road, if you see a 77 Yellow Westy with the letters PTJO in its license plate flag me down. To everyone else wish me luck, and I'm sure I'll either make some people happy and others upset over how my oil cooler set up turns out!: )

Tschus!

Tom

"So you're going to take us for a ride eh?" "Yeah, come on" "Well I don't have a sister!" "That's ok we no gotta car!"