Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Jun 1996 22:00:46 -0300
From:         Roy Nicholl <rnicholl@asg.unb.ca>
Subject:      I have strayed...

Hippies, Micro Bussers, Breadloaf Lovers, Vanagonauts, and even Wannabussers,

I am here to as forgiveness as I have strayed. Yesterday I purchased a non-brick shaped VW [but as closed to a brick as possible], a Safari/Thing. I must admit, I have always had a thing for the Thing ;-) Last week, a friend showed I an advertisement in one of the local auto-seller rags for a 1974 Thing [side vents...bonus]. The price good...almost too good... as most Things around here are either rust buckets (affordable) or prohibitively expensive [$5000+], I hesitated for a few days [kept telling myself that it would be sold already].

Finally on Thursday, I phoned and spoke to the owner's mother. She described the vehicle's condition to the best of her ability...it was enough to warrant a look-see. Yesterday morning, I jumped in the Jetta [the Westy is still on jackstands] and set off on the ~600km voyage to look at the car. Four hours later [I'll deny this to any form of law enforcement;-)], I was pulling into a driveway facing the original definition of "so ugly, it's cute".

Before the owner came out, I managed to crawl around and have a look. The body is in 'good' shape, a little rust along the bottom of a couple of the doors, and just ahead of the rear passenger-side, fender well. The frame was good and straight. The driver's side pan should be replaced [this will be a new adventure for one who has always owned Bricks]. It has new shocks and tyres and a *real* pretzel exhaust [first one I have seen in person...most of the Things around here are sporting Bus exhausts]. The plastic windows are shot. It is also in need of a paint job....but there is *no* Bondo!!!

The engine was recently rebuilt and the clutch replaced. It has all new cables and he has a new top, extra capacity oil sump, brake shoes and various other parts for it. He also has a pile of manuals [and English translations], parts catalogues, etc for it. The fellow really seemed sad to see it go [He fell ill and as a result of an operation, his back does not appreciate riding in the Thing], hence I didn't try to drive the price down. We agreed on $2000.00 Cdn [~$1450.00 USD], I gave him a deposit and we set a date for me to pick it up. I then jumped back into the Jetta and drove home in less time than the trip that morning.

So though, I went for a non-Bus....it is the next best Thing ;-) [Ok, enough bad puns...I will go now.]

Bugs & Things & Bricks...Oh, my!

Roy

-- Roy Nicholl Atlantic Systems Group Phone: (506) 453-3505 Incutech Centre Fax: (506) 453-5004 B/S 69000 E-Mail: Roy.Nicholl@ASG.unb.ca Fredericton, NB Canada E3B 6C2