Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jun 1996 13:40:13 +0500
From:         Michael Beggs <beggsmr@interserf.net>
Subject:      RE:Mid-Atlantic Camp Out-wordy

I had a blast at the camp out, and met some really cool people. I thought I'd share some about my trip there and back. I've had this camper for only about two months and have been working on it a couple of times a week, inside and out. I got to the campground kinda late because of a discombobulated tire and stuck caliper. Apparently my right front tire started to disentegrate from the inside-out. I just had my breadloaf inspected about 10 days ago so they looked fine then. The cords on the inside of the tire started to separate, giving it a rather odd shape while still holding air. The resul= put on spare-no biggie. While I had it up on the jack i went to check the other front tire. It looked good but when i tried to spin it around- it wouldn't move!?! Off with the; tire-the caliper piston(?) was stuck. I took a screwdriver and worked it back and forth using that and the brake pedal. Everything OK- drive on. About 10 miles from the campsight my horn starts blowing whenever it wants so I pull over and disconnect it. No more problems till after the campout about 20 miles from home. The other front tire went, same thing! This is after I already checked it on the way there. Plenty of tread, no visible damage. I and my mechanic checked out my front end today it's fine, just crap tires (came with the van). As I was coasting to the side of the road to change it I hear this clank-a-clank.AGHHHHH. I pulled off my right rear hubcap and there is a lugnut rolling around! How did it come off,why are we here, what's the circumference of the earth? I know not. After my little brother shows up with ANOTHER spare tire and ALL lugnuts are checked I'm ready to roll. NOT SO FAST BUSTER! Turn the key it no wanna start! At this point I am no longer frusrtated, and have resigned my fate. Actually the starter was just hung up, no big deal. Finally, made it home after about 4.5 hours on a 2.5 hour trip. Not too bad for a 71 campmobile that hasn't seen the highway since 1992.

LESSONS LEARNED: 1. BRING GOJO 2. DONT EVER BUY/USE SEARS ROADHANDLER 45'S 3. MAYBE A 5 HOUR ROUNDTRIP ISN'T A GOOD TIME TO TEST YOUR UNKNOWN VW FOR THE FIRST TIME! 4. Don't worry it'll all work out in the end.

lino 71 westy (Music) 72 westy 69,73 Beetles 72 Super B