Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         24 Jun 1996 11:46:21 -0800
From:         "McGinnis Terry" <McGinnis_Terry@mm.rdd.lmsc.lockheed.com>
Subject:      Relay Kit for Starters

First I'd like to say that it's good to be back. After over six months away from the vanagon list I was jonesing pretty bad for a fix of bus talk.

I just wanted to give a thumbs up to the Bosch WR1 Low Voltage Relay Kit. For the past nine months or so my bus has had the intermittently operating starter problem. I tried cleaning contacts and even replaced the seven year old battery, but it would still work sometimes and fail to work other times (usually when it was most difficult to get under the bus to short out the solenoid terminal to the power terminal on the starter).

After tiring of this escapade, I dropped by Donsco in Belmont to get some other stuff for my bus and asked for a recommendation on a starter solenoid that I could use to boost the voltage to my bendix. He showed me this kit from Bosch that has a 50 Amp rated relay that mounts using one sheet metal screw and a connector that plugs onto the relay that had all the appropriate terminations on the ends of the color-coded wires for easy hook-up.

I still didn't install the kit for about three more weeks, but when I finally got to it, it only took about half an hour, and now my bus cranks over the first time, every time. I highly recommend this item for anybody having the intermittent starting problem for its ease of installation (no cutting or stripping of wires or crimping or soldering involved, whatsoever).

Tomorrow I hope to install the Pertronix electronic ignition.

peace, terry & Sunshine ('64 Westy)