Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jun 1996 17:02:37 EDT
From:         thorsland@bigvax.alfred.edu
Subject:      Progress Report and Some More Questions

I pulled the "bad" head (left one) off of my '77 2L FI Westy engine last weekend. The reason for my low compression is obvious. The #3 cylinder has a burnt exhaust valve and the #4 cylinder has a loose intake valve seat. That clears up my low compression problem. The bad valves along with a stripped spark plug hole has made me decide to get a new head. The right head looked fine. I also fixed my rough sliding cargo door last weekend. The spring thing that pops the door out was broken so I replaced it with the one from my '73 donar bus/workshop. Now to my questions.

1. Where would you all advise me to get my new/rebuilt head? What companies have you had good luck with in the past.

2. When I get my new/rebuilt head what will it typically come with. I assume I will have to buy all the valves and rocker arms stuff separately (or use my old stuff) is this true?

3. I also need new rings, new heater boxes, and a new clutch. Where should I get these parts? (In your opinions)

4. Are there any other parts that are typically added that I should replace while I have the engine out?

5. Has anyone had any experiance with the "BUSSTOP" and their garantee policy? I believe that any part you order from them has a lifetime warrantee. Even if you buy an exhast system through them and it rusts out is 5 years they will replace it for free. Sounds good to me. I just want to make sure I know what I am getting.

6. My girl friend's Uncle (truckdriver/mechanic) has offered to help me finish my project (for a undisclosed amount of money). I would like him to help me prepare the heads for use, prepare the cylinders for new rings, add the new rings, put the engine back together, replace the clutch, and help me lift the engine back into the bus. What would be a fair amount of money to offer him for these services. Remember that I will be helping and he will be hopefully teaching me how to do some of this stuff (this may add to the cost). A general idea will be appreciated.

Thanks again, Brett Thorsland