Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jun 1996 14:42:41 -0700
From:         Bren Smith <bren@ccnet.com>
Subject:      RE: Installing roof vent on Vanagon

>I installed a cheap (like $85) JCWhitney sunroof in my 81 Vgon, placing >it just behind the front seats, over the feet of a passenger in the >middle seat, and have been happy with it. I drilled only one pilot hole, >and cut according to the template provided, after taping the template >carefully to the roof. To get the headliner out of the way, I cut a >smaller hole in it, safely within the borders of the sunroof. Yes, em- >phatically, you do want to leave lots of extra headliner to tuck into the >frame of whatever you use, and trim after you know how much you need to >make a neat job. I cut one corner a little too hastily, and ended with >about a .5x.5 triangle of goof visible. The fact that a headliner >support wire went through where I wanted my sunroof complicated my job. > >With the headliner pulled down out of harms way, the sabre saw did a clean >job on the sheetmetal. I can't remember if the saw cut the yellow fiberglas >insulation pad, or if I had to do that separately with a box cutter. >Make a well-sealed basket of newspaper to catch the chips from the saw, >and CAREFULLY vacuum them off the roof and out of the rain gutter when you >are done. On a previous car, I was casual about this step, and ended up with >several tiny little rusty metal chips embedded in my paint. They are >incredibly sharp and will dig into the paint immediately if you put any >pressure at all on them. Then they rust there. Happily, that practice run >was a Plymouth Voyager, so no loss. > >Sunroof is a good idea on a no-Air-Co Vgon; quieter when open than any >window, and safer open in a parking lot. Also you can stand up through >it to wax the roof, which is not possible with a roof vent except in the >last stages of anorexia.

Thanks! This is great info. Exactly the stuff we were looking for. How did you manage to get around the headliner support wire? Did you just cut it off and fold it back? If so, did you have to re-secure it to the ceiling?

Cheers,

Bren

============================================================================ Bren Smith | 4 Orinda Way, Bld. C | 510/253-3048 tel | '76 dual cab Dantz Development | Orinda, CA 94563 | 510/253-9099 fax | bren@ccnet.com ============================================================================ Beans are neither fruit nor musical.