Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jun 1996 20:08:22 +0000
From:         sw@smus.bc.ca
Subject:      Re: W/B engine speed max.

> If you encounter a hill that you have to go in 2nd gear, I slow it > right down to no more than 3000 rpm as there is less air entering the > radiator to keep things cool. I find that the cooling fan doesn't > run that much if you do this. > > Hope this info helps. > > Harry. > Thanks Harry for the info. Something occured to me while thinking this over - A few weeks back we took a trip on a *very* steep road up Mt. Blenhem - because it was also quite rough, it meant 30-40 minutes of uphill driving in 1st gear! Several times I was unable to keep revs up in 1st gear without slipping the clutch a bit to get the speed up. I was trying to baby the engine as much as I could under the circumstances, and found the rad fan was on most of the time. I wanted to stop, but had to keep going since the road was too narrow to turn around.

Anyway, the van did great, but upon returning, the next day the lifters starting making lots of noise when cold which they have not done since I switched to Mobil 1. I was due for an oil change anyway (about 5500 km), and the lifter noise went away immediately with fresh oil. Could hard driving like this have 'fried' the oil enough to make the lifters noisy?

============================== Shawn Wright, sw@smus.bc.ca '85 Jetta TD, 348k (Jenni) '88 Westy, 331k (Kyra) ==============================