Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Jun 1996 07:32:06 -0700
From:         Robert Crawford <robertc@snowcrest.net>
Subject:      RE: TDI Eurovan

At 10:57 PM 6/3/96 -0500, Harry Yates wrote: >Hi Everyone. The 2.5 litre engine in the Eurovan is an Audi diesel >power plant. It has no turbo, and is not direct injection. This

Here's a point for someone to clarify for me, as I understand (having driven a heavy truck (18 wheeler, realy a 22 wheeler, but whose counting) and owned several diesel autos and light trucks). All diesels are direct injection, the fuel is injected into the individual cylinders by a single (noisey) injector located roughly where a spark plug would be placed (1 per cylinder) if the engine were gasoline powered. My point is this, what does direct injection mean? Quite bluntly, I think that it is nothing but add-hype.

Next question, has anyone put a turbo diesel (off of a VW Qunatum) into a diesel Vanagon. It looks like it will bolt right in, any special proublems to get ready for? I don't plan to do this right-away but I found out that a differential for the car will cost more than the car did, and the van is begging for a turbo.

Robert Crawford 82 vanagon (diesel) 87 quantum (turbo-diesel) 74 181 (first car, not running, not the heart to get rid of it) 8? dasher (parts car)