Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Jun 96 10:52:00 DST
From:         Easton Trevor <TEASTON@dqc2.dofasco.ca>
Subject:      RE: Oil Temps, Coolers, and pumps, separated circuits?

|From: William R. Kennedy, NJIT CIAT, 201-596-5648 |To: TEASTON |Cc: vanagon; kennedy |Subject: RE: Oil Temps, Coolers, and pumps, separated circuits? |Date: June 25, 1996 10:27AM | |Trevor E. envisions an electric aux oil pump. I would picture this would |have to be a fairly serious pump. Engine oil pump looks like it uses |a horsepower, maybe more. Even tho' Trevor's pump would never be asked to |move cold oil, to have an effect it would need to move good volume.

Don't forget that the engine oil pump has to move a large volume through the engine against the backpressure of the galleries and bearings. The separate pump only has to push hot thin oil through some half inch pipes and the cooler. For example 110V transfer pumps use motors about the size of heater blower motors. 1/8 HP or less ---------- | |Maybe you could make something effective out of the oil pump from an auto- |matic transmission car, that has the second pump built right on.

How about a small pump with an electric clutch a la A/C compressor with belt drive

| Note that |Porsche six oil pump is two stages: one to scavenge the sump and put the |oil in the (nine-quart) oil tank, the other to pressurize oil from the oil |tank and give it to the engine. Thus my sending oil all the way to the |front grill to an aux cooler has no effect on engine oil pressure, altho it |probably costs me some amount of power.

That's it, a dry sump conversion and huge oil tank.

Trapped air shouldn't be a problem as the flow is high enough to cause turbulence and flush out any remaining air. (Unless your using a small electric pump!!!) |B. |Wm Kennedy |kennedy@admin.njit.edu |