Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Jun 96 14:56:20 EDT
From:         sas@opus.xyplex.com (Scott Sminkey - Sustaining Eng.)
Subject:      Re: Westfalia Registry

At 11:13 AM 6/25/96 -0500, Scott Sminkey - Sustaining Eng. wrote: >From my ham radio hobby, I know that the minimum airmail postage cost from >Germany to the USA (for a 1/2 ounce letter, I think) is now almost US $2. >If you write to Michael, you may want to be nice to him and include a couple >of one dollar bills, or perhaps even a five dollar bill to cover his postage >cost. I'll bet he'd also appreciate a self-addressed envelope or a stick-on >label with your address on it.

to which Ron Lussier <coyote@chaco.com> wrote:

>You can also buy a 'International Return Postage' stamp from the post office.

There is a lot of confusion about International Reply Coupons (IRCs) among the ham radio community, which is far and away the single largest user of IRCs. An IRC is supposed to be good for the smallest unit of airmail postage in any participating country. Apparently, some postal systems interpret that to mean the smallest unit of postage, period, i.e., surface mail. Last I heard, IRCs were 95 cents each in the USA. For Germany, you'd be best off sending two IRCs if you want an airmail return. It just seems easier for me to send two one dollar bills.

- Scott '91 Vanagon Westfalia Camper =========== Scott Sminkey, Sustaining and Specials Eng. Whittaker Xyplex, Inc. sasminkey@eng.xyplex.com 295 Foster Street 508 952-4792 fax 508 952-4887 Littleton, Massachusetts 01460