Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Jun 1996 15:24:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      Re: Need timing advice (upright aircooled)

>>I need some input on where to time a stock upright (1600) engine with >> a 009 distributor. > > When timing a VW engine it's best to use a timing light that has a >degree dial on it so you can tell exactly how far the distributor is >advancing! > > The engine will run too hot if it advances farther than 30 Degrees, >so it doesn't matter so much where you set it at idle as it matters >where the distributer is advancing to at RPM's.

That's true.

However, to answer your question, yes 7.5 degrees is the best place to start timing your distributor, either statically or at a slow idle.

I believe the 009 is designed to advance the spark around 22 degrees from its static setting (anyone know the exact figure?). So, in order not to exceed 30 degrees when running fast, set it at 7.5 to start with.

Then make a few extra marks with chalk or something on your pulley, where 20, 25, 30, and 35 BTDC are. Then start your engine and rev it up to 2500 RPM or higher-- the distributor should be advanced all the way by then If it shows past 30 degrees BTDC, remember how much, and back it off by that much later.

I once had an 009 that only advanced 12 degrees or so-- maybe a piece of grit caught in the advance mechanism? Had to set it at 20 degrees to get decent power and running temp out of it, and then the idle was very rough. C'est la guerre.