Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jun 1996 09:34:27 MST
From:         "Mike White" <MIKE.WHITE@law.utah.edu>
Subject:      New '59 Singlecab Status

Howdy all,

Well as was scheduled, after returning home from work yesterday, there in front of the house sat my new '59 singlecab. The seller dropped it off sometime during the day.

I quickly started hauling all the junk and goodies from the cargo hold and all the stuff that was piled in the cab into either the garbage can or a box based on what it was and what its condition was. Lot's 'o odd Type 4 junk was thrown out: Some ratty seatbelts, radio trim plates, rotted seals, a melted ash-tray, etc.

I found tons of parts under there including a full set of sandblasted 14" wheels (too bad I need 15's). I am missing the rear tail gate, a proper engine apron (it has a 60's one with it), one windshield, the latch for the cargo hatch, and latch for the deck-lid.

The bus, as Clara predicted, is really Sealing Wax Red. The dash, roof air vent, headlight buckets, and various seemingly random spots were painted white by hand. (Ack.) Here and there was some crazy blue paint. The exterior has all been repainted an UGLY orangey color. Picture some hick at his local FLAPS: "I need to repaint my truk." 14-year old FLAPS employee: "What color?" "It's sorta a O-RANGE kuller" "Well we have some kunstruction orange here for cheap" "I'll take 'er!"

The holes for the VW emblem are welded up (!), so I'll need to drill them out, and at the same time, I want to find the antenna that mounts up the middle of the front, possibly. (Repro?) The nose is in great shape. No dents.

The cargo area floor has some holes rusted through here and there, but is decent for the age (Not as clean as my '57 though).

The rockers have been replaced, and most of the major body work is already done. The PO re-welded in the wheel wells. Unfortunately he used 60's ones that have the lip. I thought late 50's just bend straight under (like my '57). But this isn't going to be a perfect resto, so I'm not worried. The weld in job is somewhat ugly, but I'll determine later (when it's body work time) wether or not to cut them back out and do a better job, or just get out the bondo...

The rear corners are perfect. Other than a few holes drilled for some 6" traier lights it looks like were mounted over where the sand- dollars originally went.

The 36hp is siezed. This is my first experience with a 36hp. Wow, what a crazy looking engine! All small with the generator stand part of the case, and a little teeny intake manifold!

And for those of you that have made it this far, here's the chassis number:

416848. It was on the little plate, and stamped into the tranny tunnel. Clara good friend, does your magic book shed some light? Thanks!

I'm excited. I spent last night with the steel wool working all the chrome parts over. As soon as my friend gets his new fancy engine, I'll throw his in. I plan to block it up ASAP and start checking the brakes. New rubber hoses all around and wheel cylinder rebuilds!

Let the games begin!

- Mike White

[Mail: mike.white@law.utah.edu - mwhite@eng.utah.edu] Visit my '57 23-Window VW BUS at: [http://cloud8.law.utah.edu/]