Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jun 1996 11:42:03 -0400
From:         cp682@cleveland.freenet.edu (Lisa Quinn)
Subject:      Fuel pump relay problem solved!

Thanks again to all that sent me information about the fuel pump relay and its location. Well we spent a night with the Bently manual wiring diagram in hand, and a voltmeter. Using the test procedure for the ignition control module, we found out that most things checked out ok. The fuel pump was only getting current when the starter was energized, as soon as the key is released from the start position, no current. This confirmed our suspisions about the double relay. Also realized that the fuel pump shouldn't be getting any current with the key on, but the engine not running. So checking continuity of the wiring, nailed it down to that relay. Well after finally getting the relay off, Bob took it inside to look at it. He's an engineer, and had to see how the bugger works. He brought in a 12V power supply, the wiring digram, and started to play with it. After about an hour of playing, he called me over showed me the problem. One of the contacts on relay one had come unsoldered after all of these years. The starter energizes the first relay, and when the starter goes off, the coil energizes the second relay. But the whole sequence goes awry if no current gets to the first relay. The only reason we could start up was because the vibration of the engine and starter were giggling the loose connection enough to get some current into the relay. As soon as the starter stopped, that relay would open, and the fuel pump would die. A drop of solder fixed the double relay! Then Bob figured out why the starter was getting current when the key was on but the engine not running. It has to do with the air mass sensor by the air filter. Pop the top off the sensor, and if it is working correctly, when the sensor is at the no air flow position the lever will open a contact up by pressing on a bar. On our sensor, the bar had snapped off before we bought the van. Bob soldered a piece of wire onto what was left of the bar to extend it, and now it works as good as new. With a little persistence, we fixed the van without spending a dime. And that was really cool!

Lisa

-- Lisa Quinn at cp682@cleveland.freenet.edu