Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jun 1996 20:09:42 -0300
From:         Roy Nicholl <rnicholl@asg.unb.ca>
Subject:      Sadistic truck drivers

Hi all:

Something I just read over in r.a.vw.a-c reminded I of the day I drove Ras Bulli Split ['67 Westy] last year.

I was about 50 miles from home and stopped to tank-up when a double trailer rig hauled in and shuddered to a stop. A fellow in his late 50's/early 60's climbed down and walked over to I with an absolutely huge grin on his face. He looked Ras Bulli over, asked me what year it was, commented on my locks and proceeded to tell about how back in the '60s when he first started driving long haul to/from Texas, they [he and fellow driver's] use to relieve boredom by passing close to Microbuses and watching the expression on the faces of the occupants as the driver attempted to rudder his "mailbox on wheels" through the wake of the rig. I told him that I didn't find the story all that funny. He shrugged his shoulders and went into the restaurant. I paid the pimply faced gas attendant [who informed I that my Bus was a decade older than he was] and resumed my journey.

I was about twenty minutes down the road when I looked in the mirror to see eight feet of grill and that same absolutely huge grin for about three seconds before 100 feet of rig blew by at 90 mph...and I turned my attention, for the next five seconds or so, to negotiating with Ras Bulli over precisely in which lane we should be travelling. I am glad I could assist someone in reliving their past...:-|

Bugs & Things & Bricks...Oh, my!

Roy

-- Roy Nicholl Atlantic Systems Group Phone: (506) 453-3505 Incutech Centre Fax: (506) 453-5004 B/S 69000 E-Mail: Roy.Nicholl@ASG.unb.ca Fredericton, NB Canada E3B 6C2