Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jun 1996 08:53:48 -0700
From:         mike@arnold.ca (Mike)
Subject:      '83 Brake Magic

Well, I actually managed to put in new brake pads with relative ease. I expected a much more labour intensive procedure, but then again there may have been something I missed, although everything seems fine. I'll run through what I did real quick and if anyone can see anything Ive totally missed then please tell me as Ill be leaving in 9 hours for my Canada Day long weekend camping adventure. - removed wheel etc. and turned wheel hard so that the pad area was easily accesible - removed 2 pins, and the metal clip thing (for lack of a better term :) ) - wedge Mr.Screwdriver in between the bad and the pad gaurd slightly and pried enough to move the caliper back a bit. - pulled my very thin brake pad out of its spot. - Put the backing gaurd (which had sticky tape) on the back of the new brake pad about where the caliper marks had made their impression on the old pad - pushed the calipers back as far as the receed - shoved in the brake pad...one of them was real tight though so I had to tap each corner with a hammer lightly to get in in their. I dont think I pushed the caliper back in enough for that one. - put the pins and clip back in. - pumped brakes. It took 1 full push till the calipers p[ushed down on the new pads. - took it for a quick spin, and it seemed fine. No squeeks, and my brakes dont have to be pushed nearly as far in to brake.

So everything seemed fine to my freind and myself, but I didnt have a manual or any reference so I wasnt sure if there were any adjustments that had to be made. If so please drop me a note.

cheers, and HAPPY CANADA DAY LONG WEEKEND!!!!

________ /________\ Mike Wynn (mike@arnold.ca) / = \ Arnold Publishing and Multimedia [ I_________ I ] Edmonton, Alberta I V I '83 Westfalia I (0) W (0) I =========== I_I I_I Nothing is easy. Life is not fair. Hindsight is bogus!