Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jun 1996 09:31:44 -0700
From:         jim@atcweb.atc.1dc.com (Jim Ellis)
Subject:      MattyJ update

Got a call two-three weeks ago from "MattyJ." He and his (very cute, way to go J!) Nicole Kidmanish companion Suz were in Phoenix. Message on the machine sounded like he was negotiating a private meeting with the Pope or something. "It would be an *honor* to meet you Mr. VanBondo..." Cherry just laughed at that one! =) Initially couldn't hook up for a visit. J&Co. were to explore GrandCanyon/North Rim and Bryce Wilderness etc. for five days. Upon his/their return we got together for a couple of hours as we were literally packing our '83 westy to bail for NewMexico for last weekend. The said that thought there was a VW club meeting at the "Rusty Ranch" when driving up. Shoot, they should have seen the other house when we had buses around. Showed them the Resto from H. They insisted on photographing Mrs.VanBondo and I standing in front of it (the bus) with promises of a web sight of their expedition to be plunked together in the future.

Impression: Very happy, positive, courteous, tidy, intelligent, and young folks who seem to be enjoying themselves/each other very handily. Had great things to say about the listees of whom they had already met. When asked if we actually looked different than the "VanBondos" in their mind's eye. They replied with the affirmative but they had grown used to it by that part of the Hobbit adventure. For folks touring about in the early '70-ish westy with duct tape and cargo straps holding the top down since February they were very comfortable around each other and us. Sometimes, Cherry VanBondo and I get ragged around the edges just going to the Circle K or 7-11 and back! =) I recommend meeting up with these folks of you get a chance.

At last account they were headed through Tucson and southern NM slowly to gravitate toward Taos and Colorado. I suspect that the desert heat might intensify the gravitational pull to the cooler weather. Cheers! -ellis\