Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jun 1996 13:27:18 -0700
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      Re: battery tray comparisons..opinions?

I bought the 'correct' sheetmetal (a story itself) and had a neighbor weld it in to replace my rusted-out battery support. I now believe this was far too anal-retentive on my part. Actually replacing the battery shelf in 1953-1979 models requires actual professional body repair skills my neighbor didn't have... If you've got rust damage, fix that- cut away what's rusted out, clean down to shiny metal, prime and paint. If this leaves a hole, I'd pop-rivet or bolt (with nylon locking nuts) a filler plate made of painted steel or aluminum over the hole. Use brushable seam sealer, galvanized gutter sealer or RTV to seal everything water tight OR buy the repair part and cut a piece out of it to repair what you need, bolt, rivet or weld in place. OR find someone who is competent, or learn yourself, and do the repair right with the repair part.

I, personally, wouldn't use plywood. If you do, I recomend you prime and paint it with oil based paint for wood, use big washers and stainless steel hardware.

Cheers! Bill