Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Jun 1996 18:25:42 -0300
From:         Roy Nicholl <rnicholl@asg.unb.ca>
Subject:      First breaker-bar of the summer!!!

Work schedule has had I on the road lots these past weeks. As a result, the further adventures of Ras Bulli Split [Resto that would even make vanBondo shudder...just slightly ;-)] have been put off track. I plan to get an update to the list over the weekend [long weekend and all...:-)], but here is a preview....

The front suspension almost done [even Liz can repack wheel bearings now...actually here smaller fingers seem to be advantageous with all those little rollers], it was time to pull the rear hubs off. My spiffy new 46mm deep socket arrived this morning just in time to be put to work. I had heated both axle nuts a couple of times and have been applying liberal amounts of WD40 to them for weeks now. I fitted the socket on the right rear axle nut, attached the 24" breaker-bar and climbed aboard. Two or three bounces later [OK, so it was really six or seven bounces] there was a tremendous "creak--groan", a la St-Muir's description, and I road the breaker-bar slowly to the ground.

Filled with new found confidence of how painless this operation turned out to be, I removed the 46 mm bear of a socket and went around to the driver's side rear wheel. Thirty seconds later, I was climbing back onto the breaker-bar...one bounce, two bounces, ...., ten bounces, ...., fifteen bounces, sixtee--"SNAP"... Next thing I new, I was parked flat on my back in the middle of the driveway, and Liz was roaring with laughter...apparently inspired by the expression on my face as I arrived at my new resting place. I got up, the socket was still sitting on the axle nut as though this entire event hadn't occurred. Looking around, I retrieved the breaker-bar from under the bus... Yes Volks, the driver nib was still in the socket...sheared clean off as though someone had cut it. Determined not to let this little set back ruin an otherwise "good" day, I immediately found an optimistic angle to the situation: "Hey, not everyone has sheared off a 3/4" drive breaker-bar...especially without using a length of pipe." Liz just said it just meant I didn't need any ice cream after dinner tonight ...wonder what her point is? ;-)

So now we are off to the FLAPS to see if the pimply-faced sales clerk will honour their lifetime warranty [and to convince them that I wasn't using a length of pipe], and, of course, to pick up some ice cream on the way home [Shhh!...don't tell Liz...;)]

Bugs & Things & Bricks...Oh. my!

Roy

-- Roy Nicholl Atlantic Systems Group Phone: (506) 453-3505 Incutech Centre Fax: (506) 453-5004 B/S 69000 E-Mail: Roy.Nicholl@ASG.unb.ca Fredericton, NB Canada E3B 6C2