Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Jun 1996 21:56:55 -0700
From:         Thom Fitzpatrick <thom@calweb.com>
Subject:      more '54 RHD deluxe bus progress

Since I'm still pathetic and have no life, I spent the entire day working on the '54. Today I got the chassis center sections, which are the pieces that go crossways between the longitudinals and the heater tube and cables go thru them, cut off and started prepping for the new ones. I also drilled the holes and welded in the nuts for the front beam supports. On barndoor busses, there are 2 U channel supports that are welded onto the front beam, and bolt onto the bottom of the longitudinals, providing extra support for the beam. Suggestion for anyone else who is going to replace the longitudinals on a barndoor: drill the holes and weld the nuts _before_ installing the section. That would have made it a lot easier!

Before I can weld in the center chassis sections, I have to box the the longitudinals in that area, first, just like the factory did. Otherwise there is not much to weld them to! The front one fits perfectly, the rear will have to be narrowed, not because of any flaw in the piece, but because of the way I lined up the new longitudinal just inside the seam where I cut the old one off. I'm about 1/16" off on either side, plus a bit more so I can box them. I also had to modify the holes for the cables, once again not due to a flaw in the repro piece, but because of the bus being a barndoor and RHD, the routing is a little different. I had to widen one of the cable holes in the center section about 1/2"

Now on to the part that wasn't so fun. I had the entire front end off the ground, and I was checking out the front beam area and sizing up all of the fabrication I will have to do there, when I noticed something quite peculiar that made my heart sink. My front beam has been WELDED to the frame by some PO during previous repair work on the bus! This is going to make it VERY interesting to re-do the front end!

On a more positive note, I jacked up the passenger side of the bus, and the whole passenger side raised up, like it should. The last time I tried to raise the passenger side, the entire REAR of the car came up!

Thom Fitzpatrick thom@calweb.com - http://www.calweb.com/~thom Keeper of the Barndoor Bus Web Page: http://www.calweb.com/~thom/barndoor.html