Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Jun 1996 11:46:58 -0700
From:         ddes@anet-dfw.com (David Schwarze)
Subject:      Re: FS: 73 camper, SF, CA area

>contact THEM, not me: > > Article: rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled.12357 > From: poser@leland.Stanford.EDU (Patrick Tower) > Subject: FS: 1973 VW Campmobile $1500/B.O.

Hmmm... Guess Patrick's not on the list any more. Shame to see him sell that bus, but he isn't gonna get anywhere near $1500 for it with a bad motor. Probably $500 or less. Broken-down busses are a dime a dozen in his area.

> First off: one piston has a hole in it, so it needs at least a one-cylinder > rebuild (estimate $650); wouldn't hurt to get all four at once (estimate > $1000).

He obviously hasn't priced this. If there is really a hole in the piston, that means there are bits of metal circulating throughout the motor. Even bad mechanics wouldn't just do a top-end rebuild under this condition. A total rebuild is necessary. Minimum $1400 unless he does some of the work himself.

> The good news: Just had dual-carb rebuild (This cost me $750) and smog > check. Brakes and clutch replaced 12K miles ago.

I'd love to comment on what he paid for the carb rebuilds, but I won't.

> This is a bright green number with a pop-top. It is a Safare Custom Camper > conversion, not a Westy, so it has a different setup than you will see > elsewhere.

More than that... I have *never* seen another camper like this. I've seen maybe a dozen Safare conversions, and all have been either high roofs, or normal roofs. This could be the only one of its kind. I doubt that will get him any more money for it though.

> I'll probably end up getting the cylinder rebuild done and then selling it,

I think after he prices that he'll change his mind. This could be a great deal for someone wanting a really unique camper, who is willing to get his/her hands dirty fixing it. I sure wish a list member would save it! I would if I was still in Southern California.

-David

============================================================================ David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) Dallas, Texas, USA '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) e-mail: ddes@anet-dfw.com '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (13.986@100.81) http://www.anet-dfw.com/~ddes '93 Weber WG-50 (Da Piano) ============================================================================